Natural zeolite it is used in agriculture as soil conditioner. The initial research of use of zeolite in agriculture took place in the decade of 1960 and have gained widespread use in Europe. In annual crops, it is applied to the soil for three or more consecutive years and then in conventional cultivation is used again after 8-10 years and in biological cultivations after 25-30 years.
The use of zeolite can help in many valuable ways, such as:
- Increase soil retention capacity in nutrients and reduces their losses due to gasification (nitrogen losses in form of ammonia) or water transportation (nitrite and nitrate) thus contributing to reduce the quantity of the used fertilizers by 20-25%.
- Increases the water retention capacity and homogeneous distribution in the ground, especially in sandy soils (zeolite retain water in an amount equal to 42-50% of its weight and gives it back to the plants gradually.
- Neutralizes the acidic components of soil (balancing pH to the neutral) and therefore the addition of other materials is not needed.
- Improves soil structure by reducing the compression and increasing aeration of it
- It is 100% natural product and can be used in Biological Agriculture.
- It is ideally combined with active microorganisms in many applications, strengthening their action.